The Mountain Host program can be a steppingstone to join Ski Patrol if you have the ski/ride skills and are able to complete the medical training required. You can also join the Mountain Host program solely for volunteer purposes if you have limited or no skiing or snowboarding experience. This program accepts both youth and adults.
Mountain Host Application
- Age 15 and up
- Demonstrate positive and supportive attitude toward self, others, and the program
- Demonstrate willingness to learn the name of every slope at Cataloochee Ski Area (you can refer to our printed map)
- Demonstrate willingness to learn basic first aid
- Commit to serving for at least two sessions during the season
- Adult signs Wavier Form (for self). Parent or guardian signs for child
- Provide your own transportation and park where directed
- Provide own appropriate clothing for the weather conditions (yellow Mountain Host vest will be supplied)
- Upon acceptance, join NSP as Mountain Host Member and fulfill all requirements.
Cataloochee Ski Area will provide one meal for each six hours of service (during your service time); one all-day slope pass for the day of your session OR the next day. The slope pass is non-transferrable. Hosts who volunteer during the 2023-24 season have potential to qualify for a free season pass for the following season.
All dates are dependent on ski area conditions and staffing demands. Our highest business volume and greatest demand for Mountain Host volunteers is from 8:00 AM to 3:00 PM, and days of greatest need are holiday weekends.
COMMITMENT to at least two (2) sessions during:
Martin Luther King Holiday Weekend:
Friday, January 12th through Sunday, January 14th
President’s Day Holiday Weekend:
Friday, February 16th through Monday, February 19th
Your help is also welcome on other dates! Mountain Hosts will work outdoors in all conditions; wind, rain, snow, sunshine or whatever nature and/or the snowmaking machines deliver.